I used to have dull, greasy looking skin and since I’m acne prone, my pores get clogged easily (and i hated it…how come others just get away with just soap and water and they don’t get any pimple at all…grrrr the universe is so unfair!!! lol!) and since i live in a country where pollution, dust, smoke, dirt, and grime is everywhere, having clean pores is an impossibility if you don’t know how to clean it well.
Through experimentation and research. I have found my own method on how to unclog those pesky blackheads so that you can shrink your pores, better yet through patience you might even get those grits out of your pores. oh achievement goals! that would be so satisfying!!! individual results may vary.
First we have to establish that you need to double cleanse and getting rid of all those dirt in your face is the first crucial step to this. If you haven’t read about oil cleansing and foam cleansing i suggest you read them first then come back to this post again.
After double cleansing here are the items that you need:
- a volcanic/charcoal wash off mud pack
- any sheet mask preferably a nourishing/soothing one
- BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid/Salicylic acid)
- AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid/Lactic Acid/Glycolic Acid)
Here are the steps on how to clean your pores:
- apply the BHA liquid unto clean dry skin and wait for 10 minutes. the BHA will unclog those gunk from your pores
I use the Cosrx Bha Blackhead Power Liquid, i use 3-4 pumps and put it in my palms first before putting it on my face.
2. Without rinsing the BHA. Apply the mud mask unto the face and wait for it to dry or until specified by the instructions on your product then rinse it off. The mud mask will help those unclogged gunk leave from your face.
3. Pat dry, then apply the AHA. Wait for 20 minutes to allow the AHA to work on your skin before you proceed with your next step. The AHA will further eliminate those dead skin cells and help regenerate faster cell turnover to reveal your radiant glowing skin.
I use the Cosrx AHA 7 whitehead power liquid, i use 3-4 pumps and put it in my palms first then apply them on my face.
4. Relax and time to chill so put on your favourite sheet mask. Leave on until all those goodness are suck in by your skin or until instructed. This step will help in repairing your skin for that radiant glowing skin. Then proceed with your other skincare steps.
5. Take your time in observing your face the next day you wake up. you will be shocked at your smaller pores and radiant skin.
6. When using acids like BHA and AHA always use sun protection for one week. To know about the importance of sunscreens read it here. Repeat these steps once or twice a week to maintain clean pores. let me warn you of course that this is not a one time thing you need to be patient and do it consistently to reap its maximum benefits, upon doing this consistently, smaller pores and less breakouts are now possible, you might even get grits while you are oil or foam cleansing.
For steps 2&4 i have preferred to use this one since it has a mud pack and a sheet mask in one already and at the same time I’m giving you a full review of this, but usually i use the innisfree super volcanic pore clay mask and any random sheet mask on my stash.
My Beauty Diary 2-Step Deep Pore Cleansing Pack
This is your non traditional sheet mask. This comes in a 2-step package. The first step is the volcanic oil control mud mask. The second step is the glacial water soothing repair mask.
*blue – mildly comedogenic, *red – comedogenic, *bold – possible irritant
Volcanic oil control mud mask ingredients:
water, kaolin, neopentyl glycol dicaprate, propylene glycol, bentonite, hydroxyethylcellulose, talc, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, chlorphenesin, phenoxyethanol, arctium lappa root extract, citrus medica lemon fruit extract, fragrance, hederahelix leaf extract, nasturtium official flower/leaf extract, polysorbate20, salvia officinalis leaf extract, saponaria officinalis leaf/root extract, xanthan gum, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate
Glacial water soothing repair mask ingredients:
water, glycerin, butylene glycol, propylene glycol, arnica montana flower extract, phenoxythenol, chlorphenesin, polysorbate20, triethanolamine, polyquaternium51, sodium hyaluronate, sodium lactate, citric acid, hydroxyethyl urea, macadamia seed oil, glycereth8 esters, hydrolysed jojoba esters, sugar maple extract, algae extract, aloe juice, orange fruit extract, grapefruit extract, lemon peel extract, codium tomentosum extract, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, fucus vesiculosus extract, laminaria digitata extract, lecithin, mallow flower extract, polysorbate80, witch hazel leaf extract, sugar cane extract, peg15 hydroxystearate, alanine, arginine, betaine, carbormer, glutamic acid, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, lysine, proline, serine, sorbitol, threonine, xanthan gum, sodium hydroxide, glycosphingolipids, tocopherol acetate
VERDICT – the mud mask has a jelly like texture overall a very pleasant experience. this one is very gentle and did not made my skin tight or dry unlike other mud masks that dries you out.
sheet masking session lasted until 30 minutes. this is a typical cotton sheet mask and as seen in the picture it clings well on my face. even if there are comedogenic ingredients on the list did not breakout. very impressed with the ingredient list. look at all those extract goodness. won’t irritate your skin. no parabens, alcohol and cheap hydrogenated vegetable oils. woke up to soft supple skin.
My Beauty Diary 2-step Moisturising and Repairing Cleansing Pack
Algae Moisturizing Mud Mask Ingredients:
water, kaolin, glycerin, neopentyl glycol dicaprate, propylene glycol, bentonite, hydroxyethylcellulose, allantonin, fragrance, chlorphenesin, phenoxyethanol, xanthan gum, hydrolysed conchiolin protein, punica granatum extract, algae extract, odopropynyl butylcarbamate
the sheet mask for step2 is the same as the 1st one i have featured above
VERDICT – mud mask has a heating effect, after the mask has washed off baby soft skin. overall a very pleasant experience. super gentle ingredient list nothing harmful.
How about you. Any suggestions on how to get rid of blackheads and whiteheads? Drop me a comment below.